Should you buy a Secretlab Titan Evo or a high-end ergonomic office chair for working from home? I’ve spent two years working full-time in a Titan Evo, putting its comfort, adjustability, and durability to the test. Is it the work-from-home champion you seek? This Titan Evo review shares unfiltered truth: pros, cons, and all.
Forget subjective “chair reviews” with biased opinions. Let’s dive into key factors that truly impact your long-term desk-sitting comfort:
- Posture Perfection: Picture this: a 25-45° lower back curve, neck straight like a ruler. That’s NASA’s golden standard for a “neutral posture” that minimizes muscle strain while sitting.
- The Adjustment Trio: Lumbar support, armrests, and reclining backrest – these are your non-negotiable adjustments. They let you customize for optimal dynamic neutral postures.
- Dynamic Movement is Key: Fixed postures overwork some muscles, underwork others, and reduce blood circulation. Mitigate this by moving frequently while you sit. Also, get up and move every 15-30 minutes. Standing breaks refresh muscles, boost blood flow, and help you maintain healthy sitting habits.
- Beyond the Chair: Don’t underestimate the power of a strong core. Regular exercise, healthy eating, and enough sleep supercharge your back muscles, making any chair more comfortable. Remember, your chair is a tool to support a healthy lifestyle, not a magic fix.
Armed with these four principles, the Titan Evo has been my trusty chariot for over two years. Keep reading to learn why it excels.
Also available in small ($549-$674) and XL sizes ($599-$694) in the Secretlab Store.
Titan Evo Specifications
Before we dive into the real-world experience of the Titan Evo, let’s take a peek at its impressive specs. You’re in for a treat: next-level adjustability and three distinct sizes guarantee a perfect fit for any body, no matter your dimensions.
Titan Evo Ergonomic Functionality
The Titan Evo redefined gaming chair comfort with three groundbreaking features. First, its integrated, height x depth adjustable lumbar provides precise support for your lower back.
Second, its magnetic headrest attaches and detaches in a snap. It offers a massive adjustment range to perfectly support your neck. Third, posture support meets movement freedom with the waterfall pebble seat.
It encourages natural micro-shifts to keep blood flowing while preventing fatigue. Details:
In all types of chairs, light pressure applied to the lower back is the key to sitting up straight. This system lets you set the perfect depth and height to support your lumbar spine sweet spot.
Beyond full adjustability, the unit also has a matrix made of 63 adaptive hinges. These flex left or right as you move.
The pillow itself has a more aggressive upper curve than the old version. That provides more support for the base of the head while sitting in a neutral position.
It also holds in place with magnets instead of straps. These provide a massive 11″ adjustment range.
A waterfall seat lip reduces pressure on the thighs and knees. That gives users more freedom to position their feet under the chair.
As well, gently sloping side wings help guide the user toward the middle of the seat. That provides supportive comfort without the restriction of bladed seat edges.
Summary of Features
- Functionality: 4D armrests; multifunction tilt-lock; pebble seat base with waterfall edge.
- Back support: integrated 4-way adjustable lumbar support; magnetic headrest pillow; recline from 85-165°
- Sizing: small 4’11” to 5’6″; medium 5’7″ to 6’2″; XL 5’11” to 6’9″.
- Warranty: five years.
Also available in small ($549-$674) and XL sizes ($599-$694) in the Secretlab Store.
Sizes: Small, Medium, XL
The Titan Evo comes in small, medium, and large sizes. Our Titan seat width measurements cover the total inner width. That measures the total amount of space between the soft edges that’s available for use.
The above photo also shows the flat inner seat width for all three sizes. That inner zone guides the legs to stay within the flat inner width. Even so, the legs still enjoy room to move past the total inner width.
Titan Sizing Specifications
|Titan 2022 Small
|Seat (total inner width)
|17.7″ (W) x 18.9″ (D)
|18.5″ (W) x 19.3″ (D)
|19.3″ (W) x 19.7″ (D)
|20″ (W) x 32.3″ (H)
|21″ (W) x 33.5″ (H)
|22″ (W) x 35″ (H)
|17.7″ to 20.5″
|17.7″ to 20.5″
|18.1″ to 21.9″
|4’11” to 5’6″; 285 pounds
|5’7″ to 6’2″; 285 pounds
|5’11” to 6’9″; 395 pounds
It’s possible to up-size beyond Secretlab’s suggested size ratings. For instance, I stand 5’9″ and fit perfectly in a medium-sized Softweave Titan. I also have an XL leatherette Ash edition that’s barely usable for my size.
Look closely to see the Titan XL’s seat depth is a bit too close to the back of my knees. Fortunately, there are several methods available to address this issue. See this guide for details:
Titan Evo Gaming Chair Usability
Ergonomic guidelines tout dynamic neutral posture support as a key to healthy sitting. Beyond the chair, esports pros know healthy sitting is just one piece of the computing performance puzzle. Nutrition, exercise, and sleep are equally crucial.
What makes the Titan Evo stand out? It supports these holistic wellness pillars in three key ways:
- Posture Champion: Stop hunching your spine like a question mark. The Titan’s adjustable wizardry supports flawless posture whenever you need it. With proper sitting techniques, achy traps and a sore lower back become distant memories in this chair.
- Move Freely, Think Clearly: The seat feels like a dance floor for your restless tush! It’s so spacious you can shift and sway throughout the day, keeping your blood pumping and your brain buzzing.
- Dynamism that Drives: This chair isn’t just comfortable, it’s engaging. Even when locked, it rocks gently, encouraging micro-movements that keep you alert and focused. Combine that with standing breaks, and you’ve got a recipe for work-from-home domination!
Optimal Recline Angles
Cornell University’s Ergonomic Guidelines state that lumbar disc pressure and back muscle activity are lowest with a supported recline angle of 110° to 130°.
The Titan Evo’s recline functionality goes beyond basic. Here are three sweet spots I’ve discovered for peak desk warrior domination:
- Upright Warrior (100°): Channel your inner Spartan with this posture-perfect pose. It’s ideal for intense focus, but demands strong back muscles.
- Balanced Champion (110°): Strike the perfect harmony between comfort and support. This slight recline lets gravity assist your spine, reducing muscle strain while keeping you alert and ready for action.
- Chill Conqueror (120°): Give your weary back muscles a break with this deeper recline. Perfect for unwinding between matches, catching up on streams, or simply taking a mental break.
While “Upright Warrior” might sound noble, esports docs threw some shade on my 100° default lean. Their concerns? Muscle strain (think holding a plank all day) and redundancy (milder reclines offer similar spine support).
Challenge accepted. I trained myself into an “Upright Warrior,” reaping triple the rewards:
- Text Neck Terminator: No more hunching like Quasimodo! This posture is a warrior’s shield against that dreaded syndrome.
- Gym Motivation Machine: Want stronger back muscles? This position practically screams “HIT THE GYM!” and builds core strength naturally.
- Stand Tall, Conquer All: The upright habit spills over, improving your posture even when you’re not glued to the chair. Talk about a confidence boost!
Remember: Every body is different. Experiment, find your comfort zone, and battle on! Just don’t expect every doctor to cheerlead your inner Spartan.
Tuck Your Hips, Plant Your Feet
For optimal comfort and support, aiming for a neutral posture when using the Titan chair is crucial. To achieve one, two steps are crucial:
Tuck Your Hips Deep Into The Seat
Sitting without support flattens the lower back curve. As the curve gets flatter, the hips shift forward. To prevent this, make it a habit to position your hips deeply into the seat pan every time you sit down.
The Titan’s lumbar support has a limited outward extension. By tucking your hips in more, you create closer contact, maximizing its effectiveness.
Plant Your Feet
Maintaining good sitting posture is crucial for long-term comfort and health. When your feet dangle unsupported, it increases the workload on your back muscles as they counteract gravity to keep you upright.
This sustained effort can lead to fatigue, discomfort, and even pain in the lower back. The solution: make a habit of keeping your feet flat on the floor while sitting. This will distribute your weight more evenly, reducing strain on your back muscles and promoting better posture.
Bonus Tip: If your desk height prevents comfortable foot placement, consider using an adjustable footrest to bridge the gap and ensure proper support.
Maintain Semi-Neutral Postures
Achieving “perfect” neutral posture is often touted as the holy grail of ergonomic seating. However, many leading experts like Dr. Jordan Tsai emphasize the importance of frequent movement alongside good posture.
As Dr. Tsai says: “Regular movement of the spine, even while seated, will do far more for you than sitting in perfect posture all the time.”
This philosophy is reflected in the design of the Secretlab Titan chair. While it supports and encourages neutral postures, its spacious seat pan allows for natural movements.
Think of it this way: the Aeron chair works like a strict posture trainer. In contrast, the Titan is a flexible coach. It guides you towards good habits — but also recognizes the benefits of movement. Learn more:
Master Your Lumbar Support Height
Maintaining a healthy lower back curve is essential while sitting. To that end, the Titan Evo chair’s superb integrated lumbar support system is exceptional. You can customize the height and depth to match your lower back curve perfectly.
The ideal position for lumbar support is just above the beltline, around 1.5 inches deep. To adjust the height, toggle the dial on the left side of the Titan Evo backrest. Once you find the perfect height, toggle the dial on the right side to adjust the depth.
Although the system works great, it may be subtle for those who have never used an adjustable lumbar support system before. In such cases, you can try using a Secretlab external memory foam lumbar pillow.
These are compatible with Titan Evo chairs and straightforward to use. Just place the pillow behind you and lean back to hold it in place. Then, adjust it up or down until you find your perfect support position. Learn more:
Move Your Hips With Multifunction Tilt
The Titan Evo chair comes equipped with control levers located beneath both the right and left sides of the seat. The lever on the left-hand side manages the multifunction tilt lock.
This feature lets you tilt and securely lock the chair at various angles. This presents an engaging method to activate your hip, calf, and lower back muscles.
When utilized independently, it delivers a refreshing burst of movement, aiding in the support of your calf muscles. When combined with a footrest, it transforms the Titan chair into a luxuriously comfortable recliner.
Incorporating a footrest alongside the tilted seat and deep recline presents an exceptional opportunity to take a rejuvenating break without the need to stand up.
By anchoring your feet against the footrest, you can effortlessly maintain an upright torso position, while gravity lends its support to your spine, alleviating strain from your back muscles. Learn more:
Non-Chair-Related Bonus: Hit The Gym!
Sitting with a 100° recline creates a posture-perfect cocoon — but it engages your back muscles more than usual. This can be challenging initially, but hear me out – it’s an opportunity!
Eager to embrace this challenge, I sought advice from esports doctors and embarked on a back-strengthening journey 18 months ago. Starting with just 5 bodyweight pull-ups, I steadily progressed to 3 sets of 10, every other day. The results? Not only did sitting upright become easier, but seeing tangible progress fueled my motivation to keep improving.
This experience revealed to me the Titan Evo’s true potential: a health-optimizing tool. Challenging yourself with optimal posture shines a light on your body’s strengths and weaknesses.
Addressing those weaknesses, like I did with pull-ups, unlocks a new level of comfort and postural control, not just in this chair, but in any chair.
The Titan Evo becomes more than just a piece of furniture; it becomes your partner in a symbiotic self-improvement process. As you strengthen and adapt, your comfort and posture evolve, leading to a healthier, more confident you.
Easy Titan Evo Chair Back Pain Fix
While the Titan Evo chair is designed to support a neutral posture, freestyle sitting can lead to back pain over time. Frequent movement can help. But that doesn’t guarantee proper spinal alignment, especially during extended sitting sessions.
Here’s why a neutral posture matters: studies suggest that a neutral seated position, similar to a healthy standing posture, best minimizes strain on your spine. This can significantly reduce back pain.
An easy fix: the postural reset. As recommended by an esports doctor, this method involves:
- Positioning: Maintain a 0° neck tilt and support your lower back’s natural 25-45° curve. Adjust the lumbar support slightly above your beltline for comfort. Set the backrest to a 100° incline.
- Engage your core: Tuck your hips into the seat, plant your feet firmly on the floor, and press your entire spine against the backrest, lumbar support, and headrest.
- Maintain upright posture: If holding this position feels challenging, use the armrests for additional support.
- Adjust for comfort: If maintaining an upright posture remains difficult, slightly recline the backrest to 110-120° to ease pressure on your back muscles.
If you follow these steps, you should start feeling your lower back pain recede within 20 minutes or so. If not, refer to this checklist:
Titan Evo Chair Buying Advice
Used strategically, the Titan Evo can help you thrive. Beyond seated comfort, it can help to improve health, productivity, and overall well-being. Here’s what you need to know:
- Find Your Perfect Fit: First things first, choose the Titan Evo size that matches your body dimensions. A chair that fits like a glove is crucial for proper posture and support.
- Master Neutral Posture: Think of this as your ergonomic baseline. The Titan Evo’s features help you achieve and maintain a neutral spine position, reducing strain and discomfort.
- Move It or Lose It: Sitting statically all day is a recipe for disaster. Embrace micro-movements and frequent posture shifts while using the chair.
- Stand Tall, Break Free: Regular standing breaks are essential for boosting circulation, preventing fatigue, and staying sharp.
- Build Your Core, Conquer Comfort: Strong core muscles make good posture effortless, even outside the Titan Evo. Invest in strengthening your core for long-term comfort and health when using any desk chair.
Sticking to these principles requires commitment. But the benefits are life-changing. Improved posture, increased energy, boosted productivity, and a healthier lifestyle are just the beginning.
Now, let’s dive into some specific tips to maximize your Titan Evo experience:
Softweave Vs Leatherette
I use a medium Cookies and Cream Softweave chair and an XL Ash Neo Hybrid Leatherette in tropical weather. Neither upholstery will touch your skin while you sit, unless you’re naked.
Under a layer of clothing, both chairs offer good breathability in warm weather; neither gets clammy.
I find Softweave slightly more comfortable, while Neo Hybrid Leatherette has a slightly more formal feel (similar to the difference between wearing sweatpants or leather ones).
In contrast, Leatherette is easy to keep clean with a damp cloth. A simple wipe and it will look like new.
Final verdict: Both upholsteries are good. If you’re willing to do regular deep cleanings, Softweave has a slight comfort edge. But if you want the most convenient option, Leatherette is super-easy to maintain.
- Breathability: both stay cool over long sitting sessions. It’s hard to tell a breathability difference.
- Tactile sensation: SoftWeave has a soft, plush, textured feel. Leatherette has a bigger ‘wow’ factor. It feels ultra-smooth and buttery soft.
- Maintenance: leatherette is stain-resistant and easy to clean with a damp cloth. To keep SoftWeave fabric clean demands more work.
Best Accessory: Magnus Pro Desk
After 1.5 years using Titan Evo chairs, I gained stronger back muscles, improved posture, and more energy while computing. Adding a Magnus Pro sit-to-stand desk brought even more benefits that I didn’t expect.
Firstly, my desk has made it possible for me to cut my sitting time in half. This means that I am putting less work on my back muscles, which in turn makes it easier to maintain good posture while sitting.
Secondly, standing desks also provide great support for mobile computing. I used to suffer from text neck (a severe forward neck tilt) while using my phone. Raising my Magnus Pro desk to support my elbows while mobile computing solved that problem.
With less time sitting plus support for mobile computing, my posture has improved even further. As well, my back muscles have become even stronger.
I can now easily work throughout the day with constant movement and position changes. This has helped me maintain a healthy spinal alignment while keeping my muscles constantly engaged during work.
Buy: Magnus Pro from Secretlab from $799 plus accessories.
Titan Evo Vs Fancy Office Chairs
Using a Titan Evo chair helped to improve my posture and motivate me to strengthen back muscles. Then, I went shopping for a chair with objectively superior neutral posture support.
After testing various high-end ergonomic chairs, I found that with proper posture habits, all chairs offered similar levels of neutral posture support. This suggests that personal posture habits play a significant role in achieving proper alignment, regardless of chair choice.
Consider these points when comparing chairs:
- Neutral Posture Support: All chairs (with adjustable lumbar + arms + recline) provide a similarly high quality of comfortable back support.
- Sync-Tilting: High-end chairs offer elaborate sync-tilting functions, but the Titan’s manual multifunction tilt provides a similar experience. For me, frequent standing breaks and a standing desk proved more effective in preventing slouching.
- Warranty: High-end chairs offer longer warranties — with a higher cost.
The Titan Evo provides comparable back support to high-end office chairs. Additionally, it offers superior adjustability (height and depth lumbar support), a wider recline range, and full-back support for neck and back.
The Titan is also significantly cheaper than high-end chairs. In fact, a Titan and a Magnus Pro desk cost roughly the same as a Herman Miller Aeron chair.
Final Verdict: For users with good posture habits, the Titan Evo offers similar support to high-end office chairs with added versatility and at a much lower price point. The substantial price difference makes the Titan a compelling option for those seeking value and comparable ergonomic benefits.
Verdict: Versatile, User-Defined Comfort
Abandon the myth of the perfect ergonomic chair. You don’t need to break the bank for exceptional back support. For instance, many affordable ergonomic chairs under $350 support the spine as effectively as pricier ones. The Titan Evo takes it up a notch.
What sets it apart?
- Price-defying performance: Compared to high-end office chairs, the Titan Evo delivers comparable back support at a fraction of the cost. You’re not sacrificing comfort – you’re getting smart design and adjustability.
- Beyond basic support: The Titan Evo boasts a deeper recline range, superior lumbar support adjustability, and a flexible seat that encourages dynamic movement. Forget stiff, upright torture – this chair adapts to your needs.
- Dynamic comfort, not forced posture: The Titan Evo empowers you to choose perfect posture, not endure it. It encourages micro-adjustments while sitting, satisfying the need for both neutral support and dynamic movement.
- Versatility is king: Deep recline? Absolutely! The Titan Evo transforms into a relaxation haven for reading, movies, or even naps.
- More bang for your buck: This chair delivers everything a high-end option does – plus more – for under $700. Durability, performance, and versatility make it a thrifty throne for health-conscious warriors.
So, ditch the overpriced quest for the ‘perfect’ chair. Regardless of a chair’s features or pedigree, it requires user effort to make the most of its features.
As my 2-year case study shows, you’ll need strong discipline to make the most of a Titan Evo chair. But the incentives are enticing: improved posture, a stronger core, mental sharpness and more.
Bottom line: the Titan Evo offers exceptional ergonomic support, dynamic comfort, and affordability, making it a true work-from-home champion.
Also available in small ($549-$674) and XL sizes ($599-$694) in the Secretlab Store.