Modern office workers and gamers spend huge amounts of time sitting in front of a computer. But not everyone can afford an expensive ergonomic chair. Luckily, the best cheap gaming chairs provide everything you need for comfortable computing. What’s more, they all cost less than $200.
Like pricey pro gaming chairs, cheap chairs support long periods of healthy sitting. Both come with dedicated neck and lumbar pillows, bucket seats, and height-adjustable armrests. They also share similar reclining and rocking functions.
But to keep costs low, cheap chairs cut back on features. Expect less adjustability and shorter warranty periods.
Cheap gaming chair overview
On the Amazon best-seller list, the top-100 selling gaming chairs all cost less than $200. All of them are also compact models, best suited to slim adults and kids.
But slim-fitting chairs aren’t the only cheap options available. As a result, we’ve split our cheap chair reviews into three articles.
- This article covers the most popular sellers. These are all compact models that fit kids and slim adults.
- Wide cheap chairs: if compact models are too tight, check out article two. That covers the best cheap gaming chairs with extra-wide seats.
- Footrest gaming chairs: article three covers the best gaming chairs with footrests. These are most popular with console gamers because they can double as a living room recliner. The best footrest gaming chairs also cost less than $200.
Cheap gaming chair sizing
Small chairs use less material, which keeps costs down. That’s why most cheap gaming chairs are a better fit for smaller sized users.
All chairs reviewed in this article fit users between 5’3″ and 5’10”. Most models tout support for up to 300 pounds.
In reality, people over six feet tall or over 300 pounds will be too large to fit in these chairs. If you have wide hips, check out these extra-wide cheap chairs instead.
Typical cheap chair features
The chairs reviewed in this guide support good posture as well as more expensive chairs. They are cheaper because they use lower quality padding. Cheap chair padding won’t remain as resilient for long. If you use these chairs full-time, expect the padding to flatten within a year.
That means these models will do the job as full-time office chairs, but for shorter periods than expensive models. But with lighter use, these chairs offer excellent value for money.
Keep these feature notes in mind as you browse our featured chairs:
- Armrests: fixed armrests are the least desirable. 1D armrests adjust up and down. 2D armrests also move forward and backwards. Learn more about armrests.
- Recline: some cheap chairs have deep recline to 180°. That’s nice, but not necessary. Upright working recline should be between 100° to 110°. For reading or watching movies, 135° is ideal. Learn more about gaming chair recline.
- Padding: most cheap chairs use high-density memory foam padding. That offers good resistance for part-time use. Learn more about gaming chair padding.
- PU leather upholstery: cheap chairs use lower quality blends. These are less durable than premium faux leathers.
Best Cheap Gaming Chairs (compact size)
This section reviews the best-selling cheap gaming chairs on the market. Every model is compact, best suited to small bodies with slim hips. Each costs less than $200.
Direct buy price: $199.99
The GTRacing Ace is a new product. It’s the most expensive chair on this list, but also the most full-featured.
It has 4D armrests, a choice of leather of mesh fabric upholstery, plus an impressive five-year warranty. No other chair on this list matches up the the Ace chair’s features or warranty protection.
Like all chairs in this category, the Ace chair suits average sizes with slim figures. Those with thick legs or wide hips may find these dimensions a little too snug:
- Seat width & depth: 19.69″ (W) x 21.65″ (D)
- Backrest width x depth: 21.26″ (W) x 32.28″ (D)
- Size rating: 5’3″ to 6’1″; maximum weight capacity 290 pounds.
The GTRacing Ace chair offers excellent features for the price:
- Functionality: 4D armrests; recline to 165°; rocking and tilt tension.
- Comfort: high-density foam padding; neck and lumbar support cushions.
- Foundation: steel frame; Class 3 gas lift; XL PU-coated casters.
Compared to other cheap chairs in this article, the GTRacing chair is around $50 more expensive. However, no other models have 4D armrests. Those give more options to support your body while sitting. Even better, competing chairs only come with a one or two-year warranty. Thus, Ace chairs offer better ergonomics and a longer lifespan.
Paying $50 more to buy an Ace over a competing cheap chair is well worth it. Even at $199.99, this chair is a bargain.
The GTRacing Ace is now available for sale from the GTRacing website for $199.99.
Current price: $159.98
After two years atop our cheap chair rankings, Homall finally drops out of the top spot. Homall chairs are popular because they are cheap. But compared to Ace chairs, they have lesser features and a shorter warranty.
Homall is one of the oldest gaming chair brands. The Homall Classic is their flagship model. It’s the #1 selling gaming chair on Amazon.
The Homall Classic has a narrow seat with ridged edges. This keeps the legs constricted, which helps to support good posture. If you have wide hips, this model may be too tight along the sides.
- Seat width & depth: 20.5″ (W) x 19.8″ (D)
- Backrest height & width: 30.5″ (H), 22.5″ (W)
- Size rating: people 5’4″ to 5’10” tall; up to 300 pounds
This chair has basic features and a solid build. Key parts of the build are a steel frame, thick padding, and decent ergonomic features. For the price, the features blow away most office chairs on the market.
- Functionality: fixed armrests; recline to 180°; rocking function with lock.
- Comfort: high density foam padding; neck and lumbar pillows.
- Warranty: one year on parts; 30 days return policy.
Since Homall doesn’t have a website, the best way to get support is through their Amazon storefront page.
Each color model has a different price on Amazon. The white version is the cheapest at $159.98. The all-black edition is the most expensive at $219.99. Across the whole price range, the Homall Classic is a solid entry-level gaming chair.
Two things stand out. First is obviously the price. Second is the ergonomic support. The neck and lumbar cushions support the muscles against the high backrest. This keeps your spine in healthy alignment while you sit. This chair works just like expensive gaming chairs do.
Buy the Homall Classic White on Amazon for $159.98.
GTRacing Pro Series
Amazon price: $169.98
GTRacing is almost as old and as well-established as Homall. A year after the Homall Classic came out, GTRacing came out with their own model. The GTRacing Classic GT099-RED is their flagship chair and best-seller. That model is part of GTRacing’s Pro Series. Pro Series chairs are all variations of the Classic Red, with different color schemes.
All Pro Series models are more expensive than Homall Classics, costing between $145 to $160. For the extra price, you get slightly larger dimensions, better features, and an extended warranty option.
The GTRacing Classic gaming chair is a bit roomier than the Homall. It stands lower to the ground but has a deeper and wider seat. Check detailed sizing info.
- Seat width & depth: 21.26″ (W) x 22.8″ (D)
- Backrest height & width: 32.5″ (H), 21.5″ (W)
- Size rating: people 5’4″ to 5’11” tall; up to 330 pounds
Also available on Amazon for $169.98 with a 1-year warranty. Buy direct from GTRacing for extended 2-year warranty.
Features on the GTRacing Classic exceed those on the Homall Classic. You get 2D armrests instead of 1D, plus support for heavier weight. Sitting in this chair feels solid and well-padded. The GTRacing Classic is snug, comfortable and built like a tank.
Buying from Amazon gets you a 1-year warranty. Buying direct from GTRacing gives you the option of an extended 2-year warranty. Whether you get the extension or not, it’s a good indicator that the durability is on-point.
- Functionality: 2D armrests; recline to 170°; rocking function with lock.
- Comfort: high density foam padding; neck and lumbar pillows.
- Warranty: one year on parts; 30 days return policy. Buy direct from GTRacing and get an extended 2-year warranty.
The Classic GT099-RED is a better chair than the Homall Classic, but more expensive. For around $25 more, the GTRacing Classic Red model gives you roomier dimensions, better features, and an option for a longer warranty.
If you like the features of the GT099 but not the colors, there are many other models to choose from. The best ones are laid out in our GTRacing Pro Series Review.
Devoko Racing Chair
Current price: $159.98
This is the upgraded version of Devoko’s ultra-cheap Classic Gaming Chair. The Devoko “Racing Style” chair has a mundane name but a fresh look and impressive feature set.
Devoko Racers come in black with white, red or blue trim. Standouts on this chair include 2D armrests and diamond-shaped cross-stitching on the seat and backrest.
The Devoko Racing Style chair is like the other models in this review. It’s a snug fit with a narrow seat and backrest. The build is super-sturdy, rated up to 330 pounds, but few people that heavy could fit in these chairs. For small, slim bodies, this model provides attractive, steady support.
- Seat width & depth: 21.5″ (W) x 21″ (D)
- Backrest height & width: 32.5″ (H), 21″ (W)
- Size rating: people 5’2″ to 5’9″ tall; up to 330 pounds
The Devoko Racing chair stands out with 2D adjustable armrests and full 180° recline. Note that deep recline sounds nice on paper, but in reality, it’s only useful for napping. The biggest minus is the short 6-month warranty. That’s reasonable for the price, but less than what competing chairs come with.
- Functionality: 2D armrests (up and down); deep recline to 180°; rocking function with tension adjuster.
- Comfort: high-density memory foam padding; neck and lumbar support pillows.
- Warranty: 30 day return window; 6-month warranty
The Devoko Racing Style chair’s biggest negative is its limited 6-month warranty. It’s also a bit more expensive than the top-rated Homall Classic. Beyond that, this is an excellent low-cost gaming chair.
Devoko is a proven brand, having made their mark with the Devoko Classic, rated #7 on this list. The Racing Style is a solid upgrade over the Classic for around $20 more. The extra price gets you 2D armrests, solid Devoko reliability, and a fresh inspired new look.
Killabee 9015 footrest chair
Direct buy price: $158.99
The 9015 footrest chair is Killabee’s original and most popular gaming chair. It’s also one of the top-selling footrest gaming chairs on the market. In 2019, this model enjoyed a series of upgrades. First was a bigger backrest for better support. The second was a larger Soft Stretch lumbar cushion. The third was an even thicker layer of resilient foam padding on the seat and backrest.
A unique aspect of the Killabee 9015 is that it doesn’t come with a neck support pillow. That’s because the extra-high backrest curves inwards. This to provide the needed support instead of a pillow. It’s an interesting tweak that works well enough. Other key features:
- Functionality: adjustable height; recline to 175°; retractable footrest; fixed armrests.
- Comfort: high density foam; PU leather; lumbar cushion
- Support: metal frame, gas-powered lift, nylon base and smooth rolling casters.
- Warranty: 1 year on parts; free replacement or refund within 30 days.
The Killabee 9105 is also in and out of stock on Amazon. When in stock, it sells on Amazon for $159.99.
Like most chairs in this review, the Killabee gaming chair is a compact model best suited to slim sizes.
- Seat width & depth: 21.3″” (W) x 20.1″ (D)
- Backrest height & width: 31.9″” (H), 21.3″ (W)
- Size rating: 5’6″ to 5’9″; 250 pounds “
Killabee buying advice
Killabee has the art of making cheap yet quality chairs down to a science. The Killabee 9015 is popular because it provides great looks and solid ergonomics in a comfortable and affordable package. The footrest lets you use it like a La-Z-Boy. When positioned upright for working, the ergonomic support is solid.
To learn more about this chair and the entire Killabee product line, check out our detailed brand report:
Respawn 200 mesh chair
Current price: $176.99
The Respawn 200 Gaming Chair looks like it came from the future. It has a breathable mesh back, integrated lumbar and sleek spaceship style design.
Office chair purists might get scared off by the bold looks. Seasoned gaming vets may find its unique features a refreshing, creative option.
The Respawn 200 has one of the narrowest seat and backrest combinations. Only choose this model for people on the smallish side.
- Seat width & depth: 20″ (W) x 20.5″ (D)
- Backrest height & width: 31″ (H) x 21″ (W)
- Size rating: people 5’10” tall; up to 275 pounds
The Respawn RSP-200 comes with integrated lumbar support. That means support comes from inside the backrest, rather than from a back pillow. The neck pillow the only detachable accessory.
- Unique features: breathable mesh back, innovative integrated lumbar support.
- Functionality: 2D armrests; recline to 130°; rocking function with lock.
- Comfort: high density foam padding; mesh backrest; neck pillow.
- Warranty: lifetime OFM limited warranty (details).
The Respawn 200 provides excellent value for money. It’s more expensive than most other chairs on this list, but the extra features are impressive.
The mesh backrest, integrated lumbar and 2D armrests stand out. This is a unique, attractive pick. Learn more about the RSP-200 in our detailed review:
Current price: $139.99
The Devoko Classic Gaming Chair brings us full circle. It’s pretty much the same chair as the #1-ranking Homall.
Homall ranks #1 because it’s Amazon’s best-selling gaming chair. Devoko ranks #6 on our list because it compares with Homall and is also popular. But it has less reviews.
Like the Homall, the Devoko is a compact chair best for kids and slim adults.
- Seat width & depth: 19.8″ (W) x 20.5″ (D)
- Backrest height & width: 30.5″ (H), 19.8″
- Size rating: people 5’5″ to 5’10” tall; up to 300 pounds
If you want to get blown away by features, check out the best expensive chairs. If you want a solid gaming chair at rock bottom prices, the Devoko delivers.
- Functionality: fixed armrests; deep recline to 180°; rocking function with lock.
- Comfort: resistant foam padding; neck and lumbar pillows.
- Warranty: 6-month warranty; free return or refund within 30 days.
It’s cheap, looks good, and supports the back. If you are on a very tight budget, the Devoko Classic will give you decent value for money.
Note that this model costs more than the Homall, with a shorter warranty of only six months. As a long term chair, the Devoko Classic is a weak choice. As a short-term starter chair, it offers solid ergonomics at a great price.
BestOffice gaming chair
Current price: $109.99
Ranking #7 is a comfy office-styled chair with over 3,200 reviews on Amazon. The BestOffice gaming chair features a fusion design. It looks like an office chair but borrows some gaming chair elements.
Like a gaming chair, the BestOffice comes with a removable neck pillow. Instead of a removable lumbar pillow, it has a fixed one. It also has a fixed backrest. The result is a unique hybrid with conservative styling.
Compared to other chairs, BestOffice PC Gaming Chair has an extra-wide and deep seat. On the flipside, it has a shorter backrest and lower total height. It also supports less weight than other chairs, with a limit of 250 pounds. That makes it roomier in the seat but smaller overall.
- Seat width & depth: 24″ (W) x 24″ (D)
- Backrest height & width: 28″ (H), 23.2″ (W)
- Total height: people 5’3″ to 5’10” tall; up to 250 pounds
Like the other chairs, this is a safe pick for kids and small-sized adults. The difference with the BestOffice gaming chair is that you get more legroom.
A key missing feature is no recline – it has a fixed backrest. It also has unique 1D armrests that swing upwards.
Those are useful if the armrests don’t fit under the desk. Swing them up and then slide your chair closer to the desk.
- Functionality: fixed backrest (no recline); 1D armrests; adjustable height.
- Comfort: standard padding; removable neck cushion; integrated back pillow.
- Warranty: 90-day warranty.
BestOffice chairs have different prices for different colors. On Amazon, the Classic White (the top-rated version) costs $109.99. The Red edition is one of several that costs Price not available.
These are decent prices for chairs of this quality. This hybrid offers cheap ergonomics for those who don’t like the styling of gaming chairs. It sneaks in ergonomic support with a built-in lumbar cushion and neck pillow. The wide seat will fit most sizes, although this is a small chair. If you want gaming chair benefits that blend into an office undetected, this is the option.
Cheap gaming chair buying advice
Here are some tips to help you make an informed decision when buying a cheap gaming chair.
Who should by a cheap gaming chair?
There are two key points to consider. First, cheap gaming chairs are for part time use. If you need to sit full-time, a cheap gaming chair will get very uncomfortable after a few months. With part-time use of a few hours per day, cheap gaming chairs will last over a year.
Second, these chairs fit people of average height and moderate waist size. Part-time users of moderate size start with adolescent students up to slim adults.
Many students and adults spend all day at school sitting in cheap chairs. Coming home to a gaming chair gives them solid ergonomics in their bedroom or living room. It’s a comfortable way to wind down their day while gaming or computing.
In summary, when used part-time, cheap gaming chairs offer great value for money. They enhance computing with comfortable ergonomic features that support good posture.
Cheap gaming chairs vs office chairs
If you’re used to sitting in office chairs, any of the chairs on this list will blow you away. They’re comfortable, perfect for computing and support good posture. But they’re not only for gamers. Despite the low prices, these models blow away the simple ergonomics of traditional office chairs.
While gaming on a PC, these models give plush comfort and support good posture. That makes casual gaming fun, comfortable and good for your back.
But office workers sit for longer periods than gamers. Many sit on cheap office chairs. Back pain and chronic fatigue are common.
Instead of an office chair, office workers should choose a cheap gaming chair instead. For less than $200, benefits include improved posture, greater vitality and increased productivity.
For a detailed comparison, check out our Gaming Chairs vs. Office Chairs feature article.
Cheap vs expensive gaming chairs
Both cheap and expensive gaming chairs support proper posture while sitting. Both are very comfortable. Even after a few hours of sitting, it’s hard to tell the difference. Expensive models come with better features like 3D or 4D adjustable armrests. They also have superior padding and upholstery.
The difference becomes clearer after a few months. Cheap chair padding doesn’t stand up as well to heavy daily use. That’s why most cheap chairs come with shorter warranties.
The limited armrest adjustability in cheap chairs can also be a problem. Armrests help absorb the weight of the arms. Sitting full-time with armrests out of place removes a key point of support for your body. After a while, wrist pain may crop up.
Summary: if you plan to sitting in your gaming chair full-time, pay more for an expensive gaming chair. If you only need a gaming chair a few hours a day, a cheap model will hold up well and provide better value.
Cheap gaming chairs are not as luxurious as expensive models. But they fill a definite need in the market. Even cheap chairs are a big upgrade over office chairs. That’s because gaming chairs are good for your back.
If you’re used to sitting in office chairs, any of the chairs on this list will blow you away. They’re comfortable, perfect for computing and support good posture. They’re also like a gateway drug to more expensive chairs. Expensive gaming chairs give similar features, with greater adjustability, better padding, and more pure luxury.
In other words, once you buy a cheap gaming chair, you’ll never be able to work in a cheap office chair ever again.